Travel experts agree, motorhome hire in Johannesburg is fast becoming one of the most popular options for self-drive travel. While many travellers enjoy the thrills and spills of camping and trekking across remote passes and destinations, one of the downsides to exploring the great outdoors this way is the lack of comfort. Anyone who has spent the night in a tent during a famous lowveld winter will know that much as the idea of living it rough may be appealing, the reality is not always as fun. Campers, or motorhomes as they are often called, offer the perfect compromise – the ability to go anyway you wish, with the added luxury of built-in accommodation, ensuring that you stay high and dry wherever you go.
Another key benefit of camper hire in Johannesburg is that ultimately you save on travel costs too. Rather than having to fork out thousands of Rands for travel expenses as well as accommodation, you only need to worry about the hire costs (which are a lot more affordable than you may have thought). It is this convenience and comfort, not to mention the added fun travelling across the beautiful landscapes of Johannesburg and Gauteng in a mini home on wheels, which is making motorhome rental in Johannesburg such a popular choice.
Once you have arranged your camper hire from a reputable hire agency, you can begin planning your route. Some of the top camping routes and caravan parks within Johannesburg and surrounds include the following spots:
- Airport En Route. This caravan park is located conveniently close to the Johannesburg O.R Thambo International Airport in the Benoni area of Johannesburg, and has everything you could ever need, including a camping area in beautiful gardens, clean ablutions block and a central location.
- Bushwillow Tented Camp. This camping and caravan park has stunning tented accommodation for those who want a break from sleeping in their camper, as well as additional highlights such as hot indoor showers. This camp is situated in Muldersrift.
- Kaia Manzi Lodge. Situated in Bronkhorstspruit, the grounds of this park put you in mind of African savannas, with sparse vegetation and a remote feel that makes it seem in the middle of nowhere. Ablutions are clean, plus there are camping areas for those wanting some variation.
- Koppisol Klub Holiday Resort. This Vereeniging caravan park is ideal for camper rental in Johannesburg, and offers a clean and well-laid out park that has everything from swimming pool to camping area, clean ablutions block and a central location.
- Malonjeni Guest Farm. Conveniently situated in Meyerton, just 30 minutes south of Johannesburg central, this park has all the ingredients for the perfect camper adventure. There are two caravan parks within huge and stunning grounds, ensuring spectacular views and plenty of attractions to enjoy within the area.
- Ngonyama Lion Lodge. This park is situated in the Krugersdorp Game Reserve, and offers a wealth of attractions and features, including a caravan park, barbeque area, power points, as well as game watching and many other fun highlights to enjoy.
You could choose to travel through Johannesburg and its surrounds from start to finish, or you could begin in Cape Town and travel up to Gauteng in the comfort of your motorhome. With so many breathtaking landscapes and vistas on offer, plus myriad things to see and do, car hire offers the perfect way to experience it all during your trip to South Africa.
Andre Van Kets is the co-founder and IT Director of a leading car hire agency, and offers advice and tips on car hire in South Africa for travelers seeking affordable and reliable self-drive travel solutions.